When it comes to looking good, for many of us no expense will be spared and it can be great fun to go to a salon for a day of pampering. From waxing to massage, a manicure to highlights – there are all kinds of beauty treatments that you can treat yourself to. One of the best ways to find a salon that you can trust to give you exactly what you want is to test them out yourself. Yes, it makes sense to ask people you know for a recommendation and to compare rates from different salons but there is no better way to find a good salon than to try it out yourself.
For many, finding a good locally-based salon is ideal but if you have some spare time or you often find yourself travelling, you might be open to finding a salon that isn’t in your local area. For example, if you find that you often travel to London for work or leisure, then you can look online for a London waxing salon listing to try out instead of using one in your immediate area. London is a great place to get beauty treatments done, as it is a fashionable and vibrant city and you can be sure that a salon with a good reputation in London will offer a wide range of modern services for you to take advantage of.
First Time Waxing
If you have never been waxed professionally before, then don’t panic as it isn’t as scary as many people fear it will be. Depending on which part of your body you want waxed, it can be a private experience and this is why it is important to find a therapist that you can trust to do the wax for you.
Getting your bikini line waxed for example is a personal thing but you should remember that your therapist is a professional who has seen everything before and it is normal to feel self-conscious the first few times you go.
Here are a few things you should know:
- The price will vary depending on how much hair you want removed and from which part of the body
- You will be asked to lay down and remove your clothes – which items of clothing you have to remove will vary depending on what you are having waxed and if you are unsure, just ask the therapist
- The therapist will tell you how they want you to position yourself and again this will vary depending on what you are having waxed
- The therapist may need to make the skin more taught and this will involve some prodding and moving around, so be prepared for them to touch you in private places in order to get the correct angles
- They will apply a soothing cream after the waxing process but some redness and soreness afterwards is perfectly normal
- Some stray hairs that have been left behind may be removed with tweezers to ensure you are completely hair-free
As for how painful it is, this will vary from person to person. More sensitive areas will obviously be more painful to wax and don’t be embarrassed if you flinch, as some waxing treatments will be more painful than others and this is completely normal.
Types of Waxing Services
There are lots of different parts of your body that you can get waxed. In fact, anywhere where you can grow hair you can get waxed if you want to and both men and women can get unwanted body hair waxed.
Below are a few examples of the most commonly available waxing treatments:
- Bikini line
- Full Hollywood wax (removal of all pubic hair)
- Brazilian wax (removal of pubic hair leaving a strip, oval or triangle shape in the front)
- Under the arms
- Upper arms
- Lower legs
- Chin and lips
- Sides of the face
- Back and chest
You can discuss what you want with your beauty therapist and they will be able to describe the different treatments available to you if you are unsure about what you can have done.
As well as waxing, you can also get a lot of other beauty treatments done from a massage and a facial to Reiki, acupuncture and a manicure.
Check out the following for a few ideas on the other types of beauty treatments that you can often get done at the same time:
- Pedicures and manicures
- Haircuts, colouring and general styling
- Eyelash and eyebrow treatments such as threading
Getting more than one treatment done during one visit is a great way to save yourself time and sometimes money, as you may be able to get a special deal if you spend a half or whole day getting treatments.
So, how do you find a good salon?
Sourcing a good salon is vital as you will need to be able to trust them to give you exactly what you want. One good way to find out more about a salon before you visit is to do some online research and see what other people have to say about their services. You can look at online reviews and testimonials, and always ask people you know where they go. Don’t forget to compare prices but remember that you don’t necessarily want to go to the cheapest salon, as it is far more important to find somewhere that offers good value for money rather than just a cheap deal.
The best way to find a good salon is to try a few out. Book something simple such as a bikini wax or a leg wax and see how confortable the staff make you feel and if you don’t enjoy your experience, simply try another place next time. You can use the internet to find listings of salons based in London and you should also be able to see what services they offer.