Teeth discoloration is a common issue nowadays. Discolored or stained teeth can affect the smile and self confidence of an individual.
For people with discolored teeth, tooth whitening procedures can offer a solution. The procedure helps in removal of stains, and thereby lightening teeth. The procedure is widely used to enhance the smile and appearance of individuals.
Teeth may get stained due to formation of pellicle, which is a thin coating on the enamel of the tooth. The coating and the pores in the tooth enamel hold stains leading to teeth discoloration.
Stains may be extrinsic or intrinsic. The stains on the surface of the tooth are called extrinsic stains. They may be formed due to the following reasons:
- Using products containing tobacco.
- Consumption of dark colored liquids including red wine, cola, tea or coffee.
- Lack of oral hygiene.
- Thinning of enamel due to ageing.
The stains on the inner part of the tooth are known as intrinsic stains. They may be caused by overexposure to fluorides and consumption of antibiotics over a long period of time.
Types of tooth whitening procedures
Tooth whitening procedures are primarily of two kinds:
- In office whitening
The in office whitening procedures are carried out at dental clinics. In the first step, the dentist may examine the teeth and photograph them in order to gauge the degree of staining.
In the next step, the teeth are cleaned by a hygienist. Cleaning removes food, bacteria and other substances from the teeth. After cleaning, the dentist may undertake the whitening procedure. The whitening procedure may be of two kinds:
- The dentist may use vital whitening procedures, which involve application of a powerful whitening gel containing hydrogen peroxide, to the outer surface of the tooth.
- Non vital whitening procedure focuses on removal of intrinsic stains and involves placing a filling along with the whitening agent in the inner surface of the tooth.
The in office whitening procedures may involve 1 to 3 sittings and may take 60 to 90 minutes. The number of sittings usually depends on the degree of tooth discoloration. Tooth whitening procedures may be repeated according to the requirements of the clients. For effective tooth whitening solutions, you may consult Dr. H. Peter Ku, a renowned dentist in Fort Worth.
In home whitening
In home tooth whitening procedures can be undertaken at home. The dentist may make trays to fit the teeth of an individual. These trays hold the certain whitening gels. The tray or mouth piece may be worn for several days depending upon the type of results expected.
In addition to this, certain over the counter whitening products and kits are available, which can be used for in home whitening. These include whitening trays, gels and toothpastes.
Factors to consider while opting for tooth whitening procedures
A number of dentists provide tooth whitening treatments. Before choosing a dentist, it is advisable to consider the following factors:
- Check the accreditation of the dentist.
- Take into consideration the years of experience of the dentist.
- Evaluate the results of the treatments performed by the dentist.
- Seek recommendations from family and friends.
- Fix a pre procedure consultation for seeking advice and information regarding the various aspects of the treatment.
Tooth whitening is an effective way to get rid of discolored or stained teeth. Choosing the right dentist can help in enhancing your smile.
Author’s Bio:Edward Mosley has written this article. If you are looking for an expert dentist in Fort Worth for teeth whitening, then you could consult Dr. H. Peter Ku. You could visit their website to set up an appointment and also go through the number of service they offer.